Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Intro

Welcome to my blog! I’ve been wanting to create this blog for some time, but I just haven’t gotten around to actually doing so until now. I think that part of the reason for the delay is that I have been a little hesitant and uncertain because I am very new to the whole blogging thing and have much to learn, particularly about how to operate and fully utilize Google’s Blogger interface. The basics of writing and putting up posts are straightforward and easy enough, but it’s all the other things you can do on a blog that will be a learning process for me. But despite the things I will still need to figure out as I go, I have hesitated too long and feel that I just need to dive in and start writing this blog.

The purpose of this blog is not simply to chronicle events in my life or merely to share my thoughts about various topics, though I will do some of both of these things in my posts in my efforts to achieve the primary goal and objective of this blog. My desire in creating this blog is to share things that inspire me and stir my soul; to speak of things that energize and uplift me and motivate me to be better; and to record and reflect upon the blessings that bring joy, wonder, peace, purpose, power and light into my life and fill my heart with gratitude to God. The title I have chosen for my blog, "Wondrous Light," is meant (at least in part) to describe and encapsulate this purpose and objective.

A little more about the title I have chosen for my blog:

Wondrous is one of my favorite adjectives to describe something that is amazing and wonderful. When I speak or write about something incredible and awe-inspiring wondrous is quite often the adjective I will use. I’ve glanced at a few online dictionaries and the general sense of the definition of wondrous seems to be something along the lines of "having the quality of inspiring wonder." One or two of them offered the simple one word definition marvelous. I think wondrous is quite similar to wonderful in its meaning, but wondrous has a more poetic feel and sound to it in my opinion. My favorite discussion of wondrous and the one that best seems to match my personal sense of what it means is this one from vocabulary.com. I particularly like the introduction they give before the actual definition.

Light is one of my very favorite words. This is not because I like how it sounds or anything like that, but because of the things, ideas and concepts the word light represents and describes. I guess it might actually be more accurate to say that light is one of my very favorite things. I simply love light. Now, am I referring to sunlight and other natural phenomena associated with it like brilliant rainbows and the glorious colors of a sunset-painted partly cloudy sky? Or am I talking about the illumination and enlightenment of the mind and heart that brings understanding, strength and wisdom? Or do I mean those things that are noble, good, virtuous and pure? Or am I speaking of the wondrous love, infinite goodness and redeeming power of God that I have felt and continue to feel in my life? The answer is yes. When I say I love light I am referring to all of the above things that the word light can be used to describe.

"Wondrous Light" just seems to be the perfect name for my blog, not only because wondrous and light are two of my favorite words, but because the combination of these two words powerfully and profoundly describes what I hope and desire to share with others in writing this blog: the things that bring wondrous light into my life. And in doing so it is my sincere hope that I will be able to shine at least a portion of that light into the lives of others and help them become more aware of the good and wonderful things in their lives. It is no secret that life can just be downright hard at times, filled with pain, sorrow and struggle. But it is my firm conviction that light and joy (even if only in small fragments) can be found in the midst of the most violent storms of trial and adversity that we face in our lives. I do not wish to minimize the significant challenges and trials many of you may be facing in your lives in writing this blog. But it is my desire and hope to help bring at least a small measure of light to you in the midst of the storms of life you may currently be facing.

This blog post has mainly been an introduction to my blog. Look for my first "real" post soon.

2 comments:

  1. this is great tyler, i look forward to seeing more of your blogs!
    -Anne Allen Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you started this blog. I can't wait to read more. I Love You.

    ReplyDelete